In this blog, I’ll guide you on how you can enable Function Keys (Fn) on Dell or laptop. This is a very common issue when you buy new laptops or settings that are disabled. Let’s start enabling Function Keys on the Windows 10 machine.
Sometime function keys are important than Secondary Keys such as Voice, Brightness and Volume. And we want to enable it to use in our normal day to day operation. I’ll let you know the steps for the same.
You have to access BIOS or system settings on a Dell computer. Follow the below steps:
- Restart your computer/PC.
- During the boot process, press F12 to see the Boot menu.
- On the boot menu page, Use arrow keys and select the BIOS Setup, and hit enter.
4. You will be redirected to Setting page. Expand POST Behavior and Select Fn Lock Options.
5. Once you get the Fn Lock Options, would be able to see two option:
- Lock Mode Disable/Standard
- Lock Mode Disable/Secondary
Let’s explain these things.
Fn Lock Hot Keys
If enabled, lets the hot keys combination + toggle the primary behavior of F1-F12 between their standard and secondary functions. If unchecked, you can not dynamically toggle between primary and secondary keys.
Lock Mode Disable/Standard
The F1-F12 keys behave as function keys. Holding is required to access their secondary functions.
Lock Mode Disable/Secondary
The F1-F12 keys control the secondary functions. Holding is required to access its standard functions.
6. Now Check the Fn Lock and Select Lock Mode Enable/Secondary and click on ‘Apply‘.
7. Save the setting and exit also let it boot from the hard drive. Once the computer is up, you will be able to use the F1-F12 function keys.
You’ll Also Like
- How To Identify Virtual Machines Having RDM Disks In VMware?
- Unable To Expand Virtual Disk In VMware VSphere Greyed Out – Solved
- VMware ESXi Diagnostic Logs
- What Is Virtual Machine Snapshots And Its Best Practices
- How To Configure Virtual Machines To Automatically Upgrade VMware Tools
- Solution For VMware Virtual Machine Disks Consolidation Is Needed
- How To View The Virtual Machine Configuration File Location In The VSphere Client
- HowToGeek: Enable Function Keys using Windows Mobility Center.