What is VMware vSAN HCL
VMware vSAN HCL checks the hardware compatibility in the vSAN Health Service and provides details about why it might report an error. This health check verifies that the vSAN HCL DB auto-updater works normally and can download and update the vSAN HCL DB from the VMware HCL release website. This check is performed periodically at fixed intervals.
If this check returns a warning, it means that vSAN cannot download and update its HCL DB automatically. The most likely reason is the that the vSAN health service in the vCenter server cannot connect to the vSAN HCL release site. This check will not return an error.
There are three types of status in vSphere 6.5 or above versions:
- Green: It means vSAN health service can download and update the HCL database.
- Skipped: It means vSAN HCL DB auto-update is not enabled.
- Warning: It means either vCenter server does not have connectivity with the VMware HCL release site at the moment.
How up update VMware vSAN HCL Database Online
To update the VMware vSAN HCL database online, follow the below steps:
- Log in to the vSphere with admins credential.
- Navigate to vSAN Cluster -> Monitoring -> vSAN -> Skyline Health.
- Here you need to expand vSAN HCL to up-to-date tab and can the next page like:
4. Click on ‘vSAN HCL DB up-to-date’ and you will get next page like:
5. Once you click on ‘Get Latest Version Online‘ and wait to get it updated.
6. You can match the Current date and Local HCL copy last updated time to validate the latest update.
Sometimes, It fails to update vSAN HCL via the Online method. In this case, you may follow update vSAN HCL manually.
How to update VMware vSAN HCL Database Manually
To update the vSAN HCL DB manually in vSphere follow the below steps:
- Navigate website https://partnerweb.vmware.com/service/vsan/all.json
- Right-click on the page and Save as all.json file.
- Log in to the vCenter Server using vSphere Web HTML5 Client with administrator credentials.
- Go to the vSAN cluster and click the Monitor tab then select Skyline Health.
5. Expand Hardware compatibility test. At next page click on ‘update from file’.
6. Upload the file you have downloaded already from the link provided in step 1. Wait for the task to be completed.
This way you can fix vSAN Health Alarm ‘VSAN HCL DB Up-To-Date’ warning alarm in your vSAN Cluster.
You’ll Also Like