In this blog post, we will provide steps for VMware downloading and licensing vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi 6.x & 7.x). This is taken from the VMware KB article given here.
Downloading vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi 6.x & 7.x)
To download and activate ESXi 6.x & 7.x:
- Navigate to the VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) Download Center.
- From the Select Version drop-down, select the version
- Click Download.
- If prompted, log in to your My VMware profile. If you do not have a profile, you must create one. For more information, see How to create a My VMware profile (2007005).
- Complete the VMware vSphere Hypervisor Registration form. After completion, an activation email is delivered to your inbox.
- Navigate to the activation email. If you did not receive the activation email:
- Check the deleted/junk folders to see if you have accidentally deleted the activation email.
- Search your spam folder to verify if your activation email has been incorrectly recognized as spam.
- If none of these options work, file a Product Licensing or Account > Product Activation Support Request. For more information, see How to File a Support Request in My VMware (2006985).
- Click Activate your VMware ESXi License and access your download. This gives you the serial key for vSphere Hypervisor. You can also access your license key by following this link.
- Links for versions 6 and 7: https://my.vmware.com/en/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6
Viewing the License for free Hypervisor (ESXi 6.x & 7.x)
Viewing the License for free vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi 6.x & 7.x):
- Log in to My VMware.
- Click Products and select My Download History.
- Click + under VMware vSphere Hypervisor to open the details of the product.
- Click View downloads and licenses. Alternatively, you can access your license key by following this link.
Licensing a vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi 6.0 or 7.0) host To license a standalone ESXi 6.0 (vSphere Hypervisor):
- Log in to the ESX/ESXi host using vSphere Client.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Click Licensed Features under Software.
- Click Edit under Licensed Features.
- Select Assign a new license key to this host.
- Press Enter and enter the License Key.
- Click OK.
Licensing a vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi 6.5) host To license vSphere ESXi 6.5, use the vSphere Web Client:
- Enter the host’s IP address (https://<ip-of-your-host>/) into a supported browser and click Search.
- Log in to the ESX/ESXi host using your credentials.
- Click Administration > Licensing > Licenses.
- ClickAdd License Keys (+).
- Enter the license key in the text box.
- Click Next.
- Review the license keys and click Finish.
That’s all for this downloading and licensing VMware vSphere Hypervisors.
- How to force shutdown VMware Virtual Machine – Techy Guy
- All About VMware vSAN HCL Database Update – TechyGuy
- VMware vSAN Features By Version Matrix – TechyGuy
- All You Need To Know About VMware vSAN | vSAN 6.7 – TechyGuy