“Unable to apply DRS resource settings on host”, We see this error message in VMware vCenter console. It means the host is unable to communicate with vCenter server processes. Mostly this error will come on the hosts which are the parts of a cluster. We will discuss it in more detail.
- Unable to apply DRS resource settings on the host. The operation is not allowed in the current state. This can significantly reduce the effectiveness of DRS.
There are two possible and tested solution available. We will go one by one.
Just restart the management agents (hostd and vpxa) on the host.
How To Restart Management agents in a host using ESXi Shell
SSH to the host with root credentials and run the following commands-
To restart all the management agents services in the host run the following commands-
To reset the management network on a specific VMkernel interface run commands-
esxcli network ip interface set -e false -i vmk0; esxcli network ip interface set -e true -i vmk0
Note: Using default VMkernel interface vmk0, you may alter it as per your requirements
How to verify the status of agents-
See if hostd is running,
Output: hostd is running.
Alternatively, run the commands
ps -s | grep hostd
To verify that vCenter Server Agent is running:
Output: vpxa is running.
How To Restart Management agents in ESXi Using Direct Console User Interface (DCUI):
- Connect to the console of your ESXi host.
- Press F2 to customize the system.
- Log in as root.
- Use the Up/Down arrows to navigate to Troubleshooting Options > Restart Management Agents.
- Press Enter.
- Press F11 to restart the services.
- When the service restarts, press Enter.
- Press Esc to log out.
If it does not fix the DRS error message in vCenter, do the following-
- Place the host into maintenance mode. (Migrate VMs manually, If DRS is not fully automatically)
- Ensure that there are no virtual machines running on the host.
- Remove the ESXi/ESX host by dragging it out of the cluster.
- Re-add the ESXi/ESX host by dragging it into the cluster.
- Exit from maintenance mode.
This way you may find the resolution of issue “Unable to apply DRS resource settings on host”.