Microsoft Windows operating system is the most popular, and most used Graphical User Interface based Operating System developed by Microsoft Corp. Windows 10 is the most used operating system from Microsoft. Windows 7 was also very popular but now it is End Of Life. The initial version of Windows OS was released on 20 November 1985.
An operating system is a software that directly manages a system’s hardware and resources, like CPU, memory, and storage. The OS sits between applications and hardware and makes the connections between all of your software and the physical resources that do the work.
Microsoft Windows 1.0 is called MS-DOS at starting. MS-DOS had basic Components such as Calculator, Calendar, Clipboard Viewer, Clock, Control Panel, Notepad, Paint, and Terminal. You can have a look below:
Types of windows operating system
Types in windows operating system you can say like different editions of OS or every version came in the market with new features and capabilities. Let’s have a look on both:
Different Editions of Windows OS
Since Windows XP operating system, Microsoft has published various editions of Windows. Each of these Windows editions has the same core operating system, but some editions have additional features with an additional cost.
- Windows Home – Windows Home is the basic edition of Windows OS. It provides all basic applications such as internet connectivity, web browsing, video player, notepad, paint, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, and Outlook. We can say this is not costly to other versions.
- Windows Pro – Windows Pro stands for windows professional. It is used by small or medium-sized organizations and has an enhanced feature such as Remote Desktop Connection, Hyper-V, Bitlocker, Group policy management, and larger memory support. It requires a proper license to work.
- Windows Enterprise – Windows Enterprise is used by large organizations that come with advanced services like credential protection, and endpoint detection and response. It can monitor behaviors and use machine learning and analytics to spot, investigate, and respond to threats. For details, information visit Microsoft site for comparison.
History of windows operating system
- MS-DOS, 1981
- Windows 1.0 – 2.0, 1985-1992
- Windows 3.0 – 3.1, 1990–1994
- Windows 95,1995
- Windows 98, 1998
- Windows ME, 2001
- Windows NT
- Windows 2000, 2000
- Windows XP, 2001
- Windows Vista, 2006
- Windows 7, 2009
- Windows 8, 2012
- Windows 10, 2015
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2003 R2
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
Best Microsoft windows operating system
If we talk about the best Microsoft windows operating system, It has many. Earlier Windows 95 was popular at that time, windows 7 was the most used operating system before windows 10 came in the market in 2015.
As per report, windows 10 has the market share of 59.37% in overall operating system segment. Windows 7 still owns 23.34% of market as of August 2020 whereas Apple’s macOS covers 1.87% of total market.
The future of PCs/Desktops operating system is Windows 10. We will cover some important features of it in a bit.
Windows 10 has more than One Billion Users around the globe. It took about twice as long as originally promised, but Windows 10 is finally in active use by over one billion users on over one billion devices. The vast majority of which, of course, is traditional PCs and Desktops users. We can say this is a big achievement for windows 10 and Microsoft.
You may also read more here.