Today we will teach how to update your BIOS for windows computer. Please note that although updating BIOS can give you more control and features to manage your computer but it is also very risky as you should have a reliable power source and battery backup to prevent the computer from shutdown during BIOS update.
STEPS TO UPDATE COMPUTER BIOS
- Check the existing BIOS version.
- Download the BIOS update file.
- Upgrade BIOS
1. Check BIOS Version:
- Go to Run
- Type msinfo32
- Check your computer’s model number and BIOS Version.
2. Download The BIOS Update File
For this, you need to go to your manufacturer’s support page and check for the updated BIOS version which is available to download. For Example, for ASUS you can check here.
Something like this:
After the file downloaded, you need to extract the bios file and copy this file in the USB flash drive. Please note that the USB flash drive you use for this activity must be formatted with the FAT32 file system. For instruction, check how to format the USB drive with the FAT32 file system.
3. Update BIOS
- We need to open the BIOS setting now.
- Now keep the USB device attached to the computer and restart the computer.
- During the boot process, press ESC to get into BIOS settings. On some laptops, it might be any one of DEL, F1, F2 or F10 keys
- Once setup is opened, you will see something like this:
- Go to the BOOT menu:
- You should see an option like Easy Flash or BIOS Flash or Secure Flash (depends on the system to system). Click on that.
- You should get a prompt like “Are you sure you want to Update the BIOS”
- Hit Yes.
WARNING: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A RELIABLE POWER SOURCE AS YOU MAY END UP RUINING YOUR BIOS PERMANENTLY IF COMPUTER GOES TO SHUTDOWN DURING BIOS UPDATE
- After hitting Yes, a BIOS update utility will open and you will get the option to select the BIOS file from your USB device.
- Select the BIOS file and hit ENTER
- BIOS will start updating. First, it will delete the previous bios then it will write the new BIOS.
- Once updated, your computer will be restarted automatically.
- After reboot, you can check the version of BIOS from the msinfo32 utility.